150ml/5fl oz fresh milk
1. Heat the milk until lukewarm.
2. Dump the rice and almonds into a smallish bowl and gradually add the warm milk to make a thin paste. If it's lumpy, force it through a sieve.
3. Heat the evaporated milk until boiling and stir in the cardamom.
4. Remove from the heat and add the rice/almond paste stirring continuously.
5. Throw in the sugar and cream and stir over a medium heat for about 15 minutes.
6. Add the flavouring and half of the pistachios (or see 7b) and allow the liquid to cool completely (stir it often to stop a skin forming).
7a. Divide the mixture into 6 or 8 small containers (hey, maybe those conical tubs that screwballs used to come in would do the job!) and sprinkle the remaining nuts on top. Put it in the freezer and freeze until solid.
7b. For a less icy finished product, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker to freeze and then transfer to the containers. This mixture will freeze rather more rapidly than conventional ice cream so keep your eyes on your machine. If using this method add all the pistachios halfway through the freezing process.
8. Remove the kulfis from the freezer 90 minutes before serving and allow to thaw slightly in the fridge OR zap them in the microwave for about 10 seconds as soon as you remove them from the freezer and serve immediately.